Mexico City Anti-abortion Policy reinstated
Five Facts About Trump’s Reinstatement of the Mexico City Anti-Abortion Policy
President Donald Trump signed an executive order Monday that reinstated what is known as the “Mexico City Policy” regarding U.S. aid for abortions overseas.
Here’s five facts about the policy, the text of which can be found here:
1. The “Mexico City Policy” prohibits non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that receive U.S. funds – including International Planned Parenthood – from providing or promoting abortions, as a method of family planning, overseas.
- The policy also bans these organizations from advocating for the passage of pro-abortion laws in other countries.
2. President Trump has updated the policy by directing the Secretary of State to implement a plan that expands the policy across all global health assistance funding. This means that U.S. taxpayer dollars will not be supporting organizations that promote or participate in the management of a coercive abortion program.
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), for example, is one such organization, with its long history of supporting China’s one-child population control program, an agenda that has included forced abortions.
3. The Mexico City Policy does not reduce U.S. foreign assistance; however, it does ensure that those who partner with the United States in providing international aid act to safeguard that abortion is not performed or promoted.
4. The policy does not prevent U.S. aid from being used for birth control and family planning services overseas – only abortion and its promotion are not subsidized.
5. The Mexico City Policy is a memorandum that was first issued by President Ronald Reagan in 1984 at the United Nations population conference, held in Mexico City. It has been reinstituted by every Republican president via executive order since Ronald Reagan, but rescinded by Democrat presidents.
Family Research Council (FRC) provides further details about the history of the Mexico City Policy:
FRC president Tony Perkins praised Trump for acting swiftly to reinstate the Mexico City Policy.
“This is a vital step in the journey to make America great again, recognizing and affirming the universal ideal that all human beings have inherent worth and dignity, regardless of their age or nationality,” he said. “I thank President Trump for issuing an executive order in keeping with his campaign promise that he will protect taxpayers from having to pay for abortions.”
Planned Parenthood denounced Trump’s reinstatement of the Mexico City Policy
National pro-life leaders, however, are applauding Trump’s move.
“Not only has President Trump reinstated the Mexico City Policy, he’s modernized it by applying it to all foreign health assistance programs,” said Susan B. Anthony List president Marjorie Dannenfelser. “For nearly a decade under President Obama, Americans have funded UNFPA, which has a long history of involvement in China’s brutal birth limitation policy – enforcement of which routinely includes the atrocity of forced abortions.
“Thanks to President Trump, the Secretary of State is directed to ensure Americans are no longer complicit in violating the dignity of women and children overseas. No longer will abortion be a top U.S. export,” Dannenfelser added.
“This is a great start to the Trump presidency and we hope this is only the beginning of defunding Planned Parenthood and the end of forcing American taxpayers to fund an industry that ends hundreds of thousands of innocent lives a year and irreparably harms women,” said president of Students for Life of America Kristan Hawkins. “This is a new day for all Americans, and we are excited about reversing Planned Parenthood’s hold on Washington.”
Reverse of Obama’s pro-Abortion decree
“Three days after President Obama took office he rescinded the Mexico City Policy, thereby allowing foreign non-governmental organizations to use American tax-payers’ money to perform abortions overseas,” observed Dr. Grazie Pozo Christie, policy advisor with The Catholic Association. “Today, three days into his own term, Mr. Trump returns the favor and reinstates the policy.”
Trump not bothered by vulgar demonstrations
Pozo Christie notes that Trump was “not cowed by the often-vulgar and stridently pro-abortion demonstrations that took place across the United States over the weekend.”
“The president instead is allying himself with majority American opinion,” she continues. “A recent Marist poll shows that 83% of Americans oppose using our tax dollars to fund abortions in other countries. Vulnerable women in developing countries will once again be protected from companies like the International Planned Parenthood Federation who have been using our tax dollars to “help” them by eliminating their children.”
Rep. Diane Black (R-TN), a registered nurse and member of the Congressional Pro-Life Caucus, said, “With this compassionate executive order, President Trump has turned the page from a sad chapter in his predecessor’s legacy and has already started to make good on his promises to the millions of pro-life Americans that helped him ascend to this office.”
44th Anniversary of Roe vs. Wade
“On the heels of the 44th anniversary of the heartbreaking Roe vs. Wade decision, this order gives us renewed hope of things to come,” Black added. “I applaud President Trump for protecting the conscience rights of American taxpayers and prioritizing federal funding for organizations that protect life over those that take it away.”